Since taking up the mantles of patient empowerment and patient advocacy beginning in 2005, Trisha has written thousands of articles, blog posts, white papers, and books.
She began by writing columns for the Syracuse Post Standard. Each column addressed a tool or approach patients and caregivers could use to find improved care from their providers.
In 2007, Trisha became the patient empowerment expert at About.com, a writing gig she kept for 7 years until mid-2014. In that time, she wrote thousands of articles and blog posts about every aspect of patient empowerment and advocacy. A few years ago, About.com’s health sites because VeryWellHealth.com – and while many of Trisha’s articles are still available, they are now being edited and updated by someone else. In 2014, Trisha and dozens of other experts found their contracts were not renewed. A business decision – because they had become too popular and too expensive. (As with the healthcare system, follow the money.)
Over time, Trisha has had the opportunity to write for other organizations, too. Of note are the articles she wrote for Next Avenue, an NPR online article site.
- 4 Tips for Getting the Most from Dr. Google
- Why Free Drug Samples Can Cost You Too Much
- Have You Been Misdiagnosed?
Trisha writes three blogs – each post of which is an article in its own right.
- The APHA blog discusses topics of interest to provide, independent patient and health advocates.
- The AdvoConnection blog contains articles of interest to patients and caregivers. It is the newer, and extended location of the blog started right here on this site: Trisha Torrey’s Every Patient’s Advocate blog.
- Trisha’s PracticeUP! Tips are tips for advocates who are building and growing an independent practice.
In addition to the articles mentioned above, listed below is a sampler of articles written over time.
.Patient Empowerment Articles:
- Proactive Survivorship: You can let adversity define you, or you can redefine your adversity.
- Patients Looking Out for Each Other – When Patients Know Best
- Getting Away With Murder? Public Records, New York and Across the US
- Chicken Little, Wishful Thinking and the 24 Hour News Cycle
- When Patients Read What Their Doctors Write
- Top Doctors and Best Hospitals – for a Price
- The Cost of a Doctor Visit – Where is the Value?
- 10 Years of Lessons Learned from Misdiagnosis and Medical Mistakes
- Looking for Trisha Torrey, (former) About.com Patient Empowerment Expert?
Additional Patient Advocacy Articles
(These articles are about the business of private patient advocacy.)
- Has Your Work Been Plagiarized?
- Head to Head, Toe to Toe – And Who Are the Big Winners?
- 200 Patient Advocacy Ideas For You
- Remembering the Mean Girls
- The Two Pieces of Advice You Will Ignore – Until You Are Burned
- Be Bold! Like Wearing Pants to School
- Sorry. That’s Not Good Enough
- Santa Can Teach Us Advocates Plenty About Good Branding
- The Weakest Link
- And They Called it Puppy L-o-o-ve
- Gallimaufry: Your Questions, Some Answers, Media and Just Stuff
- Common Courtesy and Who Owes What?
- The Best Way to Find New Clients
Find more at: www.APHABlog.com
A lot of writing – yes! But if you think this is a lot, check out Trisha’s books!